Sunday, October 03, 2010

Colouring Book Theatre: Frankenstein

Universal Monsters" by Golden
Seeing as it's Halloween Countdown Month, I'm going to put up a CBT every week devoted to all things horror.

This week's entry is a segment from a 90s colouring book I recently found. I'll run a couple of monster specific ones over the course of the month.

I'm kind of nostalgic for this period in time because it seems like it was the last time we'll see the classic monsters sold to kids in their original format.

It's also kind of a trip to see a colouring book based on a (then) series of 60 year old films that most kids probably haven't seen (unless I'm your dad that is) So let's begin with the story of Frankenstein after the jump.








The story is told sans narration and the art is rather faithful to the original film.
Again I'm impressed with the maturity the subject matter is being handled, almost like Golden figured that many of the purchasers would be adult collectors.
One
A sad reality of the modern era is that you can no longer depict Frankenstein as resembling actor Boris Karloff, while I can get where the family is coming from it does kind of suck to be a monster fan at times. I find myself actually digging the generic look to stuff these days.


I got a bad feeling this ain't gonna go too well. I totally love that this scene is in here, it's perfectly innocent and just hinting at malice.

Ah the villagers and their torches, this is what people did before facebook.
Well as we all know, this isn't the end.

Next Week: The Wolfman



If you have a colouring book you'd like to guest review, I'd like to hear from you!

5 comments:

Alphacentaurian said...

That cover totally looks like it was done by Jeff Easley (who did most of the 1st and 2nd AD&D core book covers)!

R.S. Sterling said...

I had this! Think I might still in storage somewhere.

Wings1295 said...

Love this! Wish I had it now!

Retro Hound said...

"...this is what people did before Facebook." HAHAHA!

Very cool book.

rob! said...

LOOOOOOOVE IT!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin