Sunday, September 13, 2009

Space:1999 Day!

Seeing as today is the ten year anniversary of the supposed date that the moon blew out of orbit in Gerry Anderson's 1975 television series "Space:1999" I thought it would be fun to look at some of the cool merchandise that came out during it's two year run.

Above is the trading card I made using the Mego/Palitoy Catalog, these figures were the thing that turned me into an ardent "toy collector" in 1985, so it goes without saying I'm fond of them.

Above is a page from the 1975 Mattel catalog, Mattel held the license in the US and while the dolls kind of suck, their Eagle playset they made more than makes up for it. It is so full of win, click the picture to explore the gallery.


This page from the 1976 Azrak Hamway catalog shows just some of the many items they made for 1999 including many rack toys and some higher brow electronic pieces like that hard to find commander Koenig walking doll.


Of all the rack toys made, my favourite had to be the water pistol version of this stun gun, I had one as a kid and it was the closest thing to an actual prop you'd own in 1976. Space:1999 AHI Rack Toys Gallery.

Amsco made this killer cardboard Moonbase Alpha, someday.....


Got a Space:1999 collection? I want to put it on the site! Drop me a line with your cool collections!


Space:1999 Pajamas because even Alphans need their sleep.
Toyfair:1976 A representative from Saalfields shows off their latest offering, based on the new sicence fiction series "Space:1999" to the buyer from Bradlees. I need to review that for colouring book theatre....

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Moon comes back in 2010.

http://www.myspace.com/project091399091309

Jim

plasticfetish said...

Brilliant... all of it!

I just wish that someone would play the series on TV from time to time. Maybe if there was a science fiction channel or something like that... hmmm.

John III said...

My preschool had the Eagle spaceship that us boys fought over to play with. Ahhh, the memories.

Arkonbey said...

thoughts as scrolling down:

1) Wow, it's the Eagle, the Holy Grail of seventies toys. My friend had a broken one his dad got from the dump and it was still awesome.

2) Holy Crap! I had the Amsco Space:1999 playset! Jeebus! I totally forgot about that. Man. This has got to be the third or fourth time that you've posted a toy that I totally forgot I had.

John III said...

Yeah, he's done that to me three of four times myself. Talk about a mind flash when you see a toy you forgot you had and those memories come flooding back!

Tex said...

Under the "Stun Ray Gun" picture you wrote...

>Of all the rack toys made, my favourite had to be this stun gun water pistol,...<

Wrong pic, man. That's the mini-flashlight stun gun toy (note the red plastic "emitter."

Tex
(And, yeah, I had this AND the squirt gun. Both eaten by Katrina, alas.)

benestro138 said...

Rosebud!
here it is, my fave childhood toy, the giant Eagle ship. it doubled for the Millenium Falcon when my folks wouldn't buy me one.

it's long gone now, imagine my chagrin to find it's "highly coveted"

leftylimbo said...

Awesome. I had the Eagle 1 when I was 6-7 years old. Talk about a freakin' HUGE and awesome toy! I vaguely remember the dolls, but didn't know there were more Space:1999 toys out there! Thanks for sharing.

DuckyDan said...

Please have another Space: 1999 day! Just 2 days from now.

Plaidstallions said...

We got something planned!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin