Friday, March 21, 2014

The Six Greatest Bionic Man Knock Off Toys





I gave up writing a weekly list for Topless Robot, in order to finish writing Rack Toys. I will admit to missing it from time to time, so I’m going to keep fresh by churning out the odd one for PlaidStallions.

The Kenner Six Million Dollar Man toy line is one of the most memorable and successful toy lines of the 1970s.

With the bright light of big sales, you attract a few bugs. A lot of competitors come and try to "cut your grass" as a former boss of mine would say, as the list goes on we'll see it gets more and more blatant.





6: PULSAR (MATTEL) 

 When faced with the overwhelming popularity of Steve Austin, Mattel decided not to play in the Cyborg sandbox at all but went sideways and made an all organic superhero. 

 That's pretty clever, combating steak with a vegan alternative, as a bonus, Pulsar was super gross to look at which is a bonus for young boys. 

Mattel sold the character for two years and didn't pay anybody a dime in licensing.



Come see the Greatest Bionic Man Rip Offs here





More Top Ten Fun
top ten marvel toys

top ten marvel toys

top ten monster toys of the 1970s

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, this is TR.
6 million dollar man knockoffs. I'm surprised that the 6MD man's co. didn't sue over "Atomic man". :)
Latin America's line of Big Jim figures was "Kid Acero" in the '70s + '80s, I think. I think Kid Acero had a cyborg friend named, "Bionic Man". Unlike the 6MD man, Kid A's bionic man had 4 bionic limbs, but no bionic eye. Lots of fun!

Plaidstallions said...

AGGGGHHHH! How could I forget that guy? I have one staring at me right now. I feel like a complete dope.

Anonymous said...

Hi, this is TR.
I know that feeling, please don't let it bug you:
Just this week I was going:"how much older am I than my sister?...2 years?...3 years? Darn it! Let me get out my license and check. Heh, heh. :)

sharxfan said...

His face looks like a cross between Burt Reynolds and Charles Bronson.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin