Friday, August 24, 2012

Lord of the Rings 1979 Catalog



The 1979 release of "The Lord of the Rings" movie was a highly anticipated event by fans and toy companies, hoping to find a fantasy film franchise as lucrative as Star Wars had been.

Lord of the Rings was a box office hit but it didn't equate to much by the way of merchandise. One of the few licensors was a company called Open Door Enterprises, who produced a number of craft sets tied into the film.



In addition to poster art sets, Open Door offered playsets, school folders and more. Did this stuff see release? I'm not absolutely certain.


3 comments:

Lady Jaye said...

Apparently, it did exist. http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/the-lord-of-the-rings-1978-doodle-folders-playset

I sure wish I had that as a kid! And now I wish there were scans of those doodle kits. At least I do have two books based on the film...

Chris Jepsen said...

I didn't see the movie as a kid, but I remember a friend bringing over one of those poster coloring kits. No idea why I remember that, but I do.

#ChurchCrimes said...

Culots. Coolots? kewlots..... Wow, I wore those.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin