Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Toy-Ventures: Corgi Spider-Man Buggy

Thought I'd spend some time this week discussing the one Corgi vehicle I allowed to creep into my collection. Along the way, we discuss the history of Corgi toys and some of the amazing items they've produced over the last 60+ years.

Hosted and edited by Brian Heiler (@plaidstallions)


PlaidStallions Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/Plaidstallionsdotcom/

Plaidstallions facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2226244254053126/

Twitter: @plaidstallions

Subscribe to our Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwYta3nz_7FAzPvP8FPSgpg?view_as=subscriber

1 comment:

DBenson said...

I still have the Corgi Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the Dinky Thunderbird 2, both ancient Christmas gifts. Always fascinated by the Corgis in shops and in catalogs, but never quite enough to go after them.

When I was small Remco was a brand to watch. Remco put out science kits in canisters ("The Thinking Boy's Toys"), an impressive Coney Island claw machine, and the drive-in movie that looked so great in the Sears wishbook. Finally saw the actual toy as an adult, and was grateful I wasn't subjected to that disillusionment as a child. I always associate Remco with foil labels pressed onto plastic.

I had the Remco Showboat, an American spin on the traditional British toy theater. The sets, scripts and stage directions presaged a later involvement in real theater. A while back I looked it up on eBay and saw it described as a "girl's toy". Grateful I didn't know that as a kid. My little brother had Remco's Jonny Reb, a swell toy cannon. I spent a lot of time trying to pry that away from him.

In recent years I've found myself collecting not actual toys, but books ABOUT toys. I realized I don't want to own a Marx Ben Hur Playset so much as I want to be able to see what it looked like, and prove to people such a thing existed.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin