Monday, April 20, 2009

Scenes from Toy Fair 1975

I love these little black and white vignettes taken from the floor of the NYC toy fair, while almost every square inch of toy fair is now covered by the "nerd media" (That ain't a dig BTW, I'm a card carrying member) it's hard to find good photos from the 70s. My dad was actually at this toy fair, wish he'd taken some photos...

That's the Matchbox Fighting Furies toy display, for those not in the know, they were a killer series of pirate action figures. One of these days I'll get around to doing a gallery on them.


That's the AMT show room and all those sweet, sweet Star Trek Model kits. I can't tell you how many of those I ruined with my impatience and lack of talent.

Here is the 1975 AMT Model Catalog


Casper visits the viewmaster booth, I can see Superfriends giftsets behind the sales reps. That sad looking Casper suit was used in the comics for a series of ads, I can see his hands!


Schaper's Super Toe football is something I haven't really touched on here yet, they seem to have gone all out with their display.

5 comments:

Dancin' Homer said...

"Hey kids, enjoy a Lucky Strike with your Super Toe, and you'll score every time!"
- Wm. Garrity, President Schaper Toys

John III said...

My dad got some of those Star Trek kits. One for me to build that turned into hastily glued toys. And his, that looked perfect, and I wanted to turn into my toys.

chunky B said...

That shot of the AMT display is fantastic! I would love to see something like that out there today.

Plaidstallions said...

Homer- I was hoping somebody would pick up on that.

John- "Hastily Glued Toys" is the best Analogy ever, I'm stealing it. Bwa-ha-ha-ha

Chunky-Around 1986 I wandered into a variety store and saw a display just like that, needless to say my buddy came by and we filled his trunk!

Jim @ CoolStuffForDads.com said...

I saw the guy smoking too, thought that was sort of interesting. Many of them probably smoked right at the fair. I had that Super Toe toy, it was cool!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin