Friday, August 29, 2008

S.T.A.R Team Promotional Comic


In 1978, Ideal Toys hobbled together a series of space toys using old molds and a generous helping of inspiration from George Lucas..

S.T.A.R Team actually beat the Kenner Star Wars product to the stores (Kenner was forced to sell empty boxes promising action figures but you probably knew that) and the lawsuits flew!
In an effort to create a back story kids might enjoy Ideal contacted the Marvel comics bullpen (as they had done for their Evel Knievel line) to create a promotional piece outlining the adventures of Zem 21 and his nemesis, the extremely talky Knight of Darkness.

It's a gripping tale written most likely in a gin soaked afternoon..

Other related links



ideal star team toys

Ideal Scare Cycles



3 comments:

Arkonbey said...

wow. I'd never heard of those. I think that may be a good thing.

chunky B said...

I received ZEM 21,Knight of Darkness, Zeroid and his ship that Christmas instead of the Early Bird empty package. My parents tried to pass them off as Star Wars, I knew better, but I loved those toys... I would love to find a mint set today!

Mr. Lawless said...

I did not know of this, and I had those toys!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin