Monday, October 14, 2013

Costume Spotlight: Calibos


Today's costume spotlight is a personal favourite, Calibos, the twisted demi God from Clash of the Titans.

When Clash came out I was ten years old, a Harryhausen fan and deeply interested in Greek mythology, making me the target market for all the different toys and cereal tie ins (I think Sugar Crisp gave away stickers). I have to admit, I thought Calibos was the "Darth Vader" of the film and I guess toy makers hoped kids would see it that way but he's merely one obstacle in the film.


The folks at Ben Cooper seemed to think kids would be more interested in those obstacles (monsters) than they would be the human characters and only made one good guy character. If I was Harry Hamlin, I'd be slightly miffed as to who I lost costume immortality to.....



Mattel 1981 Clash of the Titans Catalog

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Costumes like these used to make me soooo angry as a kid. I wanted to BE Calibos -- and Calibos didn't wear an effing tunic with his picture on it.

(Also, I didn't want to be Calibos. That was for effect.)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin