Sunday, October 13, 2013

Colouring Book Theatre: Bugs Bunny meets the Superheroes

Bugs Bunny Meets the Superheroes Souvenir Book

This is one of the happier finds I've had this year, not only do I collect memorabilia from this mid 1970s stage show but it's a coloring book to boot.

If that wasn't enough, this item teaches me a little bit about the show itself which is good because I wasn't fortunate enough to attend as child.

This book gives details into what kind of a show it was, I count 16 songs including a solo by the Penguin. Also, it lists Mel Blanc as the provider of the voices, so I imagine all the Looney Toon characters had their voices on a track.

Let's take a look at the plot of this show after the jump...






Batman coloring book

The art is above average, probably mostly swiped from a style guide.

Dune coloring book

This segment comes completely out of context but I'm sure there was a logical explanation. As an aside, one of the songs is called "Bat Computer" and it's sung by Batman, Robin and Chief O'Hara.


Dune coloring book

Adding Wonder Woman to this show was a smart move considering her TV popularity at the time. She actually features in the book far more than Batman.



Dune coloring book

So, here is the plot of this thing, the Joker and his crew wants to screw up Porky Pig's birthday party by adding sneezing powder to his cake. Seems like a task a bit beneath this team? Well, don't judge them too harshly...


Dune coloring book

BECAUSE THIS IS THE NIGHTMARE FUEL THAT IS PORKY PIG! AHHHHH!
I think I totally understand why the Joker is doing this and officially endorse it.

Dune coloring book


Batman and Robin finally show up at the end as shown by this swipe from a classic bit of Infantino art. The last panel of the book is Sylvester and Bugs fishing, which I am lead to assume is going to mimic the closing scenes of the Godfather 2.

Next Week: The Empire Strikes Back!

2 comments:

Wings1295 said...

Looks fun, if not weird!

Joshua Raymond said...

I saw this when I was a kid. I have very little memory of the actual show, though.

What I remember was I went with my mom and my sister, and a couple of other parents and families. All of the parents got together and dressed the kids up in superhero gear like t-shirts and stuff. And I was enormously frustrated because two of the kids were wearing Spider-Man and The Hulk sunglasses.

"But, but, those are MARVEL Comics superheroes," I sputtered, "this is DC Comics!" But no one else cared. And THIS is the the memory I hold of the show to this day, my first experience of feeling "nerd-rage."

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin