Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Jaws Goodies


I think one of the scariest things in the 1970s had to be the notion of a giant shark eating you. I'm slightly ashamed to admit this kept me out of lakes and occasionally pools as a pup. It's kind of hard to merchandise a shark seeing as he doesn't have any cool accessories or a vehicle of any sort but Imperial toys came up with a pretty neat selection for 1976.






Of course, even Imperial could resist the odd generic rubber animal and why not? To a kid, all sharks were Jaws!

Here is the Imperial Toys booth at th 1975 Toyfair, as you can see Jaws was a pretty big deal.

5 comments:

Meatball said...

Oh! Oh! I had that inflatable shark! I remember desperately trying to get it to swim just below the surface of the water, but the laws of physics were against me.

Wings1295 said...

Freakin' sweet!

ben said...

Wow, "booth babes" have come a long way since the '70's!

Fiona said...

Love the inflatable fins. What a wonderful touch of sick humour.

John III said...

I'm with you Brian. When JAWS merchandise was coming out I was only two or three and wanted nothing to do with it.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin