Thursday, December 03, 2009

The Ultimate Home Gaming System

The Oddessey by Magnavox (the TV people) was the world's first home gaming system, it came with plastic sheets you could put over your TV to simulate colour game play. I found one of these in my aunt's basement one day around 1980, even though it was only a few years old it looked like a cross between a relic and some sort of prop from "Space:1999" to my then Atari riddled brain.

I'd like to find one now and present it my "X-Box" raised offspring...


7 comments:

Arkonbey said...

Man, that is a clunky thing, isn't it.

My dad built us a Pong game from Heathkit. We played the bejezus out of that thing (on the TV he also built from Heathkit).

Wings1295 said...

My brother had a pong game in the 70s, not sure if it was this one or not, though.

John III said...

Hi Arkonbey. What else did your dad make from heathkit? Sounds interesting to say the least!

I never did get an Atari, but I did have a Commodore 64 that I loved to no end. Started me on my cycle of computer gaming that still lasts 25 years later!

Ally said...

I remember my parents got PONG when I was a kid. It was the coolest thing!

Anonymous said...

Okay, we actually had this thing. In fact, I am pretty sure my Mom still has it stashed somewhere. Ours came with transparencies that you taped to the TV and could play several games on. I don't remember much more than that but I know we played it alot.

Htos1 said...

I played this one in summer 1975,hanging out with some buds.

Anonymous said...

Actually I happen to own a brand new Odyssey including a shipping box, its an amazing piece of video game history invented by Ralph Baer and has dice, chips, even play money!!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin