Friday, August 15, 2014

Pod Stallions 20: Watching the Detectives




Episode 20 is inexplicably a Quinn Martin Production and has us exploring the phenom of 70s detective shows and also has us kind of trying to figure what qualifies as a detective show (we don't quite see eye to eye). 

Regardless, 
as children we sure did watch a lot of people getting murdered. We discuss the Columbos, Rockfords, MacMillans and Wives,  Banaceks and Cannons of our childhood, the merchandising magic of Kojak and Starsky and Hutch.

We also go way, way off track, with discussions about Jamie Farr and Three Stooges, I'm sorry.

Episode 20 will hopefully have you asking "Just one more thing"





Show Links:

4 comments:

Seventiesfan said...

I actually have the Kojak figure and Police Woman doll. I often use the Kojak as a Lex Luthor, even though I also have the Kojak Police Emergency Set.
Back then I watched all the crime dramas, including the Quinn Martin Productions. My father's favorite was The Streets of San Francisco.

Unknown said...

Dallas said...

I enjoyed your podcast very much. As a 12 year old back in 1977 I watched "The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries" with Shaun Cassidy, Parker Stevenson, and Pamela Sue Anderson. As a 10 year old I watched Kolchak: The Night Stalker (1974-75) with Darren McGavin. Kolchak partly inspired the creators of that super-successful 1990s hit series "The X-Files". The two shows are now available on DVD.

Unknown said...

After listening to the podcast I started watching 'Banacek' on Youtube. The show's guest stars are a collection of 1970s and 1980s TV beauties, stephanie Powers and Victoria Principle are two examples. I saw Youtube clips of the Punk Rock episode of 'Quincy'. Too funny!

In the series 'Colombo' Peter Falk's character pays tribute to the show's French roots by driving a Peugeot. I build model soldiers and a French company Metal-Modeles has a 54mm figure of Colombo. It is the only fictional figure which the company produces. Check it out!

Kevin you need to view one of my favorite animated or cartoon shows from the 1970s 'Wait Till Your Father Gets Home' (1972-74) by Hanna-Barbera. It is a light-hearted look at changing family life in the Hippie-dippy times.
If you want to watch a serious side of 1970's television see 'An American Family'(1973). It was what we would now call a "reality" show.

benestro138 said...

I was looking at a pic of Charlie Callas as Sinestro right when you guys brought him up. weird on all levels.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin