Sunday, July 20, 2014

Colouring Book Theater: Valley of the Dinosaurs

Valley of the Dinosaurs

I haven't done a CBT at all this year, so I'm glad I found this book whilst visiting the groovy retro store Planet of the Stuff two weeks back.


I remember this show well as a kid, mostly because to me it seemed like an animated knock off version of my beloved Land of the Lost.

However I was surprised that the two shows came out at the same time, Lost was the clear winner as Valley never had another season.

Let's take a look at this after the jump...






Batman coloring book

The origin story is unbelievably similar to Land of the Lost. Hanna Barbera makes sure to add the trappings a complete family and a pet. Their cavemen counter part family has a pet dinosaur ala the Flintstones.

Dune coloring book

That's the same logic of a person who showers mid stream in a slasher movie. The main story of this book is son Gregg endangers both families when he pisses off a brontosaurus by stealing some oranges.


Dune coloring book

How many times have we all said that?
The family is trapped and about to drown, so Gregg elects to save them which results in this:



Dune coloring book

The love and respect of Gorak, something we should all strive for people.


In hindsight I probably should have at least scanned one page depicting a dinosaur....

2 comments:

Tom said...

Not only did they premiere the same year, they were on opposite channels at the same time, if I recall correctly. I was a Land of the Lost fan which is why I never even knew of the existence of Valley of the Dinosaurs until it was on in repeats on Sunday mornings several years later. I always loved how the father would solve the day's problem with some engineering principle leading Gorok to always ask, "It is magic?"

Anonymous said...

Gorak, just hold me a little longer.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin