Friday, September 27, 2013

The Outer Space Man Conspiracy


Despite the fact that the toy line ended before I ever gulped oxygen, the Colorforms Outer Space Men are strong childhood memory for me. Not because I ever played with them but quite the contrary, I'm not even sure if I've ever held one.
You see around the time of Star Wars (perhaps you've heard of it) the good folks at Colorforms dusted off images of the OSM for a series of puzzles (pictured here)



These puzzles hit my radar when they showed up at Dominion Playworld in 1978 but the item  below completely broke my young brain.


I've mentioned before that I wasn't a super bright child,  so it's no surprise that I was convinced that all the figures were in this box. I wasn't sure how but it had to be right? I  marched the set to the counter with my mum in tow. My mother mentioned to me " I don't think the figures are in there, it's just some sort of game", I replied "No, i'm sure they're in there" but the clerk deflated my balloon with "that's a colorforms set, there are no figures in there".

This drove me crazy, what kind of company would make these amazing toys then choose to not release them? Were they just torturing us? Don't they realize how awesome they are?

Fortunately as an adult, I got all the answers from the man himself, Mel Birnkrant  whose annotated archive of the Outer Space Men is exhaustive and wonderful (and sometimes heart breaking). His website is really worth a visit, see you in a few hours.


More Alien Action Figures:

5 comments:

NealP said...

I had the Commander Comet figure when I was four or five. I had no idea he was part of a set at the time. It was just one of those toys that my parents got me without any provocation on my part. He always seemed a little creepy to me, but fascinating at the same time. The whole set has an eerie quality about it, like one of those Soviet SF movies from the 50s.

Where the Road Ends said...

I had the entire set as a kid. Still have Colossus Rex and Orbitron, although I chewed off one of his claws...I love that Four Horsemen does a version of these. Picked up my favorites this year at SDCC

Jay Exonauts said...

You know, of course, that you can just go buy the new versions made by the Four Horsemen: www.shopfourhorsrmen.com, right?

Tex said...

Ahem.

http://www.shopfourhorsemen.com/

Tex
(Plaid Pedant)

Anonymous said...

I had that same colorforms set. Found it creepy and fascinating!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin