Friday, February 08, 2013

Megabug Gladiators 1979 Catalog




Described by Kenner in 1979 as "Combat vehicles of the future....half insect, half machine" Megabug Gladiators were perhaps just too ahead of their time.


That's pretty much the only reason I can think of to justify why this cool toy line of insect tanks wasn't a hit with kids. Had it been spawned in the 1980s, Megabugs would have likely gotten an animated series to support the concept and been a bigger hit.


As it stands, it's one of those toylines that deserves more fanfare, mostly for being one of the most creative concepts of the decade.



Click here to see more of the Megabugs.

4 comments:

Lance said...

The Megaspider makes me think of the tanks from Ghost in the Shell where the pilot/driver sits in the abdomen.

Does anyone else look at the dragonfly (which I had to look closely at to realize where the head was) and think of the Moths from LEXX?

Alphacentaurian said...

Alas, these arrived ahead of their time. These would have been gangbusters in the mid 80s, going up against stuff like Wheel Warriors and Robotix.

JFStan said...

OMG YES! I had the spider and the scorpion, these were amazing! I never realized that Kenner made them!

happyticket said...

I had all three and I absolutely loved them. Forgot about them unr recently

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin