Sunday, April 13, 2008

Colouring Book Theatre: Star Wars

star wars Colouring Book Today's colouring book was supposed to be Superman but I misplaced that (I tend to do that) so we'll go with a book based on a little known movie called Star Wars.

This book is by Kenner, being the master toy licensor, they left no stone unturned. The book itself is rather bland, there is no story, rather it looks like it was created by a few folks in their design department amidst a pile of stills.

The art has a strong contrast, some of it is better than any book I've seen and other times it looks like children scribbled it.

One of the things I noticed was that none of the pages were coloured, this is because when Star Wars dawned, I was no longer a kid, I was a serious collector. Probably why I don't really have a lot of nostalgia for SW merchandise but I digress...






star wars book



This first image is swiped right from the Marvel comics series, there are a few pieces like this in the book, many of them wonky as somebody tried to trace Howard Chaykin's artwork.




star trek colouring book



Walrus man: The good times. Oh and you can keep your "Ponda Baba" to yourself, his name is Walrusman, dammit!






star trek colouring book




Aother example of wonky comic book tracing, there isn't a straight line in this thing!



star trek


I missed this scene in the movie, I'm assuming this is a still.

star trek


Another scene I missed, actually I'm pretty sure this a drawing of the actual Darth Vader Toy. You can imagine him saying "The Force is with Kenner Toys Children kooo-kah kooo-kah!" Oh man, I'm sorry for that, this book is giving me nothing.




Got a colouring book you'd like to guest review? Drop me a line!

Previous Colouring Book Theatre Entries can be found here.

Coming Next Week: Superman! (maybe)

3 comments:

rob! said...

kids love Walrus Man, its just a fact.

chunky B said...

That one pic of the droid has me wondering if that's supposed to be a Death Star Droid or if it's an early look at 4-LOM from Empire Strikes Back.

Oh and I'm with you Walrus Man and Hammer Head all the way in 2008!

Anonymous said...

That is the Death Star Droid action figure prototype, taken from a still picture. You can find it doing a search.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin