Sunday, March 03, 2013

Colouring Book Theatre: Doctor Who (part 3)

I loves me some classic Who merchandise, so I was pretty thrilled to find this colouring book from World.

Unlike the Pertwee one I looked at a while back, this one suffers from that kind of earth tone ruddiness that a lot of Tom Baker merchandise has, it's kind of morose and reminds me of some the annuals I had as a kid.


Like every Who colouring book it lacks any of the trademark aliens, no Daleks, no Cyberman, heck the Tardis only makes a single appearance in this thing! Much of this is based on the Key to Time series as it features Romana 1 and K-9.


It seems that whomever illustrated this was given 4 or 5 stills and really nothing more. It's also obvious that the illustrator wasn't a fan or all that experienced with colouring books. More after the jump:






Dune coloring book

Bowties are cool, the Tom Baker likeness is spot on when copied from a still and then it sort of looks like "Hippie Lieve Schreiber" from then on in. The Doctor never seems to be wearing the same outfit either.

Dune coloring book

I have the power! There is a lot of random weirdness in this book including shots of the back of the Doctor's head or just weird random things. Most of the time the Doctor looks like he's smelling rancid cheese. I hope Tom Baker never saw this thing.


Dune coloring book

Gaahhh! Whatever I said about Tom Baker not seeing this, I'd like to double that for Mary Tamm. There is no way anything but a man's voice is coming out that visage. She is simply never done justice in this book.

Dune coloring book

Ah yes, the disasterous leisure suit season, I'm really not sure what this is supposed to be at all.



Dune coloring book

Tony Stark gets a whuppin' from the fourth Doctor. That'll teach him to steal his smokes!

Dune coloring book

I think this is just a drawing of Tom Baker going somewhere.




Next Week: Space:1999



4 comments:

phairhead said...

The last picture reminds me of every classic Who episode on a alien planet.......because they shot at a quarry

Sir A1! said...

It's like the Doc borrowed William Shatner's man spanx in the 4th picture.

Sabrina Steyling said...

I did a little happy dance when I saw this Tom Baker coloring book as he's quickly become one of my favorite Doctors, but I'm much into the Sarah Jane era myself and not Romana...however, at any rate, these illustrations are lacking, as you said; it's very weird.

John Hilliard said...

"There is no way anything but a man's voice is coming out that visage." - LOL! Good one!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin