Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Suicide is Painless...

MASH toys

I was surprised when doing my Metal Men feature last week to discover that Zee Toys also made a line of M*A*S*H items. M*A*S*H was one of my favorite shows growing up but I never had much desire to play it, probably because it was much of a drama/comedy than it was really about war. Still, the approach Zee took was a good one, centering around the base itself and not the characters, a neat concept.


It's Tuesday and here's what cool on DVD today:




It's a tad dry on the DVD front this week in terms of films or TV from the 70's, the one bright light I found was the release of Filmation's Lone Ranger and Zorro Volume 2.

I'm pretty much a sucker for anything Filmation (although I need never see "Sport Billy" again thank you) and I still hold out hope for a legitimate Tarzan release someday.

An odd bit of trivia, in this series, the Lone Ranger was voiced by none other than the late William "Cannon" Conrad.

Speaking of military toys: A piece I did for Topless Robot with editor Rob Bricken entitled The 10 lamest additions to G.I. Joe is up for your reading pleasure.

8 comments:

rob! said...

i want that MASH display box really, really, REALLY badly.

chunky B said...

I watched that show religiously as a kid, so much that my parents thought it would be a good idea to get me the die cast vehicles for Christmas, my favorite was the half track, the jeep with wagon was cool too... I vaguely remember the latrine playset as well, what an odd playset to give a kid.

Anonymous said...

If I had MASH toys, I would have re-enacted the scene where Hawkeye said "Son of a Bitch" on primetime TV.

That was a huge deal at the time, and many of my friends used it as justification to say it in school. Hey, they said it on TV, so it can't be a bad word, right? Unfortunately, teachers didn't follow our logic.

Anonymous said...

you're g i joe list was great, serpentor and those cobra-la foolz were just awful! big ups for calling out the Intruders! 6 inch tall villains meant to go up against 12 inch heroes! yeah, gravity on their planet made them small........uh, yeah....right! LAME!!!!!!

thanks for the heads up on zorro/ranger, didn't even know the first set was out, gotta get me some old filmation cartoons from the 70's to go along with my animated trek!

dusty

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the Intruder's super power - that he could hug really hard.

Bubbashelby said...

There actually was a Klinger action figure. In drag.

Anonymous said...

I SAW THE KLINGER FIGURE RECENTLY!
I had no idea that there were 3" M*A*S*H figures, but the backing card showed Hawkeye, B.J., Charles (this was late in the series run, obviously), Hotlips and Colonel Potter. There may have been more. I wished I had of paid attention to who made it.

Unknown said...

I'm hoping for the Tarzan DVD as well...I hope it sees the light of day. Ink and Paint is no longer though...:(

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin