Sunday, December 02, 2007

Forgotten TV: Cliffhangers

I'm going to devote a couple of times a month to obscure stuff in my video collection, mostly forgotten or short lived TV from the 70's/80's. The first show I chose to highlight is Cliffhangers.
Cliffhangers was produced by Kenneth Johnson (V, The Incredible Hulk) and it's concept was throwback to the movie serials of the 30's and 40's, each show would contain 3 separate adventures, each week it they would end with a "cliffhanger" (hence the title).



Cliffhangers opening

The three segments were:

1) The Curse of Dracula: which depicted the count as a handsome University professor in modern day San Francisco.

2) The Secret Empire: A homage to the Gene Autrey Serial "The Phantom Empire" this story featured a US Marshal who uncovers an underground society of technologically advanced aliens run by the evil Mark (Star Trek) Lenard

3) Stop Susan Williams: international adventure starring Susan Anton as a jet setting reporter who manages to get herself into some deadly situations.

As a child, the Secret Empire was my favourite, so I leave you with an episode.




Part One



Part Two

2 comments:

Robotkid said...

AWESOME!

Thanks so much...I was just looking for this show last month!

THANK YOU!!!

Anonymous said...

NEXT TO BATTLE OF THE NETWORK STARS, THE CURSE OF DRACULA IS MY NUMBER ONE MUST SEE AGAIN SHOW FROM WHEN I WAS A KID, I LOVED IT, I ESPECIALLY REMEBER BEETHOVENS MOONLIGHT SONATA USED AS THE OPENING CREDITS MUSIC. I BELIEVE IT WAS THE ONLY SEGMENT THAT REACHED ITS CONCLUSION. I HAVEN'T SEEN THAT OPENING CREDITS SEQUENCE SINCE I WAS 9! THANKS, YOUTUBE IS THE BEST.

DUSTY

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin