Friday, February 12, 2016

Mexican Aquaman


Tracked down a toy I've wanted for ages recently and it's certainly not the Aquaman, let alone a Shogun Warrior you're probably familiar with but I can explain some of this mystery after the jump. 



You see in Japan, Popy created a Jumbo Machinder (which is what Shogun Warriors were based on)  of one of my favourite Japanese TV characters, Kamen Rider X!


I happen to be mildly obsessed with Kamen Rider characters.

As much as I would like one of these, they're expensive and my kids need to visit a dentist in this life time. 

Enter Mexico with a home grown lower cost equivalent to the rescue!



A Mexican company called Jugarama (which sounds like a Russ Meyer film festival that I'd most definitely attend and buy a shirt) released Kamen Rider X as "Aquaman" and while I wouldn't describe him as "cheap" I would say he falls into the category of "more affordable". 

Here is a boxed shot I found:




My original thought that maybe the series aired in Mexico, X had an underwater base, so calling him "Aquaman" wasn't a bad idea but I've asked several Mexican toy collectors and they've said nope, so it's a mystery!




This is X with his 12" Henshin Cyborg counterpart.

Funny Story: I only won this guy thanks to an error. I was at a pub with friends and didn't want to be rude with my phone. So i placed a last minute bid under the table and pushed send when  i accidentally added a zero. I had bid thousands instead of hundreds on this.

I sat there smiling, pretending nothing was wrong for the longest 60 seconds of my life. In the end, he cost me almost $125 more than I had but that's a whole lot better than the possible alternative. 

Don't be like me kids, don't drink and Ebay.

Happy Weekend People!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't count how many times I've ebay'd drunk late at night and then had to be sure and beat my wife to the mailbox for the next week infill my ill-gotten goods arrived...

Plaidstallions said...

After a particularly stressful Christmas one year I did get several "Mystery boxes" that clearly were the result of drunk nostalgia for Christmas past. That was weird.

Anonymous said...

Ahh, the memories of the drunken eBay mystery arrivals...at least it's not just me!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin