Friday, May 13, 2011

1983 LJN Advanced Dungeons & Dragons catalog


In 1982, LJN toys beat out rival toymake Mego for the rights to produce toys based on the popular TSR role play game "Dungeons and Dragons" and a great underrated series of toys was born. The LJN D&D line was sort of a grown up version of Masters of the Universe with it's Elves, Wizards and Orcs populated a fun middle earth environment. Sadly, the line didn't fare well, most likely due to then strong opposition to the game itself and it's themes.

Despite being kicked out of my sole D&D game when I was 12 (I didn't really "get" role playing and decided to instead be an ass) I really dug these toys and bought much of the first wave of figures. Click on the images below to see larger pages with descriptions:

4 comments:

John III said...

Still have a couple of these lying around.

Dolly the Bird said...

OMGosh! I love these! I didn't have any though, and I don't recall any of my friends having them either. What a shame! I remember all the D&D controversy from when I was little...and how much I adored the cartoon that came on Saturday am's. Of course I also remember Mazes & Monsters with Tom Hanks. I've always thougth that movie didn't do much to help the rep of D&D!

Lance said...

I've a ton of these still. Including most of the card backs. The early elf was called Peralay and the later releases had him as Melf the Elf. Best thing on the cards was the Tim Truman art.

Danadoll said...

I got a bunch of these back in the day...Love them. I'm still trying desperately to complete my collection.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin