Sunday, December 31, 2006

Star Wars Week Prologue


From a 1978 Globe and Mail article, a reporter scowls at Star Wars toys in an article with the biline "Give him Snakes and Ladders any day"
I've been kind of avoiding doing a Star Wars week for a couple of reasons:
a) I kind of thought Star Wars didn't need the attention
b) I really burned out on Star Wars merchandise in 1998, sold everything I owned but some childhood pieces and never got the urge again.



But as much as I like to claim that my only childhood toys were Mego, the truth is I was a ravenous Star Wars geek from '77 until '82. Taking breaks to get into Buck Rogers and Black Hole. Part of it was peer pressure with other kids in my class but the other part was just that those movies really hit all my buttons as a kid.



While I'll likely never get back into Star Wars, I do get all drooly when I see vintage carded figures. Pretty powerful stuff seeing as every action of George Lucas since 1997 has pissed me off.......

Happy New Year!

5 comments:

Steve said...

I am in the same boat. I never much cared to collect Star Wars toys, though I did buy the new stuff in 95. I loved the movies, but I guess I never got super-nostalgic about the figures. Part of it was that they were so commonplace... I guess it boils down to not wanting to do what everyone else is doing. Still, the original 12" line is something I'd like to get someday.

Plaidstallions said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Plaidstallions said...

You nailed it on the head for me, it seemed like the thing everyone was doing. The 12" line is nice, I'd love them and the original 12 but it's such a slippery slope.....

Jon Hunt said...

There's a 12" IG-88 at my neighborhood comic store. Its been sitting there since about -- oh, 1998? Or so? Its price is pretty restrictive. But man, am I tempted. Every time I walk in there. I'd kinda like to get that whole 12" line, either in or out of box.

I'm in the same boat as you guys: sick to death of the 'Wars, but boy, was I in the thick back in the day. Vintage Star Wars stuff? I'm there.

Steve D said...

What are those robot figures at the top of the display? Looks like it says Rotron

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin